Thursday 21 March 2013

here I am, changing my mind again

So I know I said yesterday that I would write in every second day, but I have reason to give you all a quick post, because I'm feeling really quite optimistic at the time being.

Recently I've noticed a huge improvement in my French comprehension and it's truly a reassuring thing. I won't lie, I was having fleeting moments of self-doubt, where I would spend a while with the dreadful thought that I would never learn French as a heavy lump refusing to leave the back of my mind. I suppose it didn't help that people around me were also expressing skepticism (I won't name any names here just in case) and that the possibility of me taking night time French lessons had come up in conversation, something that to me felt like more of a bad idea than a good one, considering how exhausting I usually am in the evenings after being surrounded by French all day as it is.

However, I'm coming out of my shell more and more each day and things at school with my friends are really good right now, meaning I'm finding it a lot less of a daunting thought speaking with people, and as a result of this, I'm starting to feel less pathetic and more like myself, an extremely welcome adjustment!

Much to my delight, a few of my classes were cancelled this morning (unlike New Zealand, reliever teachers don't exist here in France, so no teacher = no class) and all of this means I got to start school at 3pm, something that's completely unheard of back home! I slept in until 12 which I'd usually consider a good thing, but I was actually rather annoyed with myself because I had planned to skype Sam (I can't even remember when we last did this!) but blew all chances of that, unfortunately. I suppose I needed the sleep though, however much I love having a proper conversation with someone every now and then.

Since it's still reasonably early and I've got a bit of time to spare before heading to bed, I'm going take this moment to show you a few photos from recently, since my blog is lacking visual components, I feel.


Making the most of a sunny day two weeks ago and taking a break from French!

What I wore on my 17th birthday... next day Sylvie, my host mum, comes home with the same coat!

Funny trees in the courtyard at my school. Is it just me or do these also remind you of naked whomping willows?

A museum in Saint Etienne, where I went with my class on a school trip last Friday. 

Bernard (a friend of my host parents) being a joker

The view from a 33 meter high keep at a 15th century century Chateau I visited yesterday

And the courtyard... the table and chairs remind me of the ones in my garden back home.

A letter from Sam that finally arrived today, only a month after he sent it!

I know it hasn't been a particularly interesting or funny post, but I really just had the need to tell you about my recent status, because I think that I often come off as annoyed, unhappy or just a bit of a downright complainer in what I write on this blog, and it's not true! Well, most of the time... put me in front of la reine in French class and I might regret writing that.

Anyway, I start school at the normal time tomorrow, and despite having only 2 hours of volleyball, I should probably go to sleep now so I can be well en forme demain...

Yours truly,
me, Eloise x

P.s. It was the first day of Spring yesterday, but regardless of the date, the weather hasn't really changed... still cold enough for scarfs and big coats... here's hoping it warms up soon!



1 comment:

  1. Classic Sylive!!! So proud of your speaking abilities!!!!!!! Maybe you'll receive a letter from me one day but then again time is a mystery

    ReplyDelete